Tuesday 22 February 2011

Christchurch

clear blue skies, very cold - temps minus 18

Couldn't believe it this morning. Minus 20 when we started the car. Just glad the poor thing started.

Thank you for your patience - and for not complaining about the silence. Notice how I assume that my silence is a major tragedy and chasm in your life. Never mind.

We could not believe our eyes when we saw the devastation in Christchurch! We've been there, and it is such a beautiful city. To see their cathedral, an icon of the city, so broken - it left us open-jawed and speechless. And deeply saddened.

For anyone the images are terrible, but for those of you who know and love (and perhaps live in) New Zealand and Christchurch in particular, it must be almost unfathomable. Unbearable. I suspect you might feel quite isolated - and overwhelmed. Michael and I just want you to know that we're watching - and care. And not just us, but millions around the world.

Michael and I drove in to Montreal today - stopping at Ikea to fine-tune the kitchen decisions and arrange for their people to come measure. It's very exciting. And a little stressful - which is why we want Ikea's people to measure...because I frankly don't trust myself.

Am edging toward starting to write the next book. Next Tuesday - march 1st, as I've mentioned. it looms. Am trying not to get nervous, but to be excited about it. And, when the fear doesn't overwhelm me, I actually am. Can't remember when I have so looked forward to writing a book. I think it's not just the location that excites me - especially after our remarkable visit to the St-Benoit-du-lac abbey just before Christmas - but getting to explore music, gregorian chants, the effects of music on all of us, and the themes of the books. As well as re-joining Gamache et al.

I can see many of the scenes, and can hardly wait to write them.

I've also, for the most part, managed to clear the social decks - and the promotional decks - so that I have at least six weeks without interruption, to get the first draft started - before events start to close in.

Oh, also wanted to mention that the remarkable Julia Spencer-Fleming did an interview with me for her new blog!! She's joined the fabulous writers at Jungle Red Writers! Her first blog is tomorrow and she asked if we could have a 'conversation' for her first blog....I agreed right away.

If you'd like to read it, feel free to visit Jungle Red Writers tomorrow - or anytime actually! It really is a wonderful group of bloggers. And I loved answering Julia's questions. I'm a little worried that I gave the impression that I don't care that I'm writing traditional mysteries. I hope it doesn't come across as that. I care very deeply - it's just that I have no choice. I write what I love to write. And have no skill to do anything else. No other agenda except trying to do my best.

As always, Julia asked thoughtful and fun questions! So tomorrow, if you have time, pop by Jungle Red Writers.

And don't forget that Julia's new book is finally coming out - in a few weeks. It's called One Was a Soldier. I've read it and it is brilliant!!! Well worth the wait - and when you read it you'll see why it took so long. A beautiful, searching, gorgeous book.

Speak to you tomorrow. I have an interview at 10am with the Ottawa Sun. Turned down an interview on Radio Canada television - in french - since I need to concentrate on the new book. But said I'd happily and gratefully do it in August. In hopes that miracle finally occurs and I become completely fluent in french by then.

Hope you're well. Watching Libya. And watching Christchurch. You're not alone.

3 comments:

Karen said...

Dear Louise Penny: first of all, thank you for thinking about Christchurch and all the suffering going on in New Zealand now. I have never been there, but, like Kebec, or Quebec, it is a dream and on our to do list. Please let us know if we can help in any way!
Secondly, though I meagerly allowed myself one chapter a day, I finished "Bury Your Dead", and wept. I also laughed.I find myself waking up, in the wee small hours, praying for all the people who are sacrificed and all those who must make the decisions about what is more important, and who is less important, but I shall always weep for Morin! It also became very clear to me that I need to learn more about Canadian history. I would also like to purchase all your books available in Quebeqoise, (please excuse the spelling if wrong!) or French, which I can read. We have fallen in love with the venues and characters, the plots and the twists, but I think Quebec must be my second second home!) And then there is Three Pines, and of course the food which I miss (j'adore les pains au chocolates, les baguettes avec pates, pommes frites, croissantes). Ah, I am missing some of the many things from my childhood, but am loving everyone of your books so much! Merci. Tante merci. Bless you. I hope your muses work overtime helping you, and your adoring readership, into the next book. Et, bonne vie, Emil, avec Elisabeth.

Lynda said...

Jungle Red! A marvelous name with a wonderful past, and I'll be sure to read your interview with the also marvelous Julia Spencer-Fleming.

Wanted to let you know that my Vivé Gamache mugs arrived last week, along with the two sets of bookplates I ordered from Brome Lake Books. I haven't opened the box yet, because we're living in a rental while our home is being renovated, and I'm treating the mugs as a housewarming gift to myself and won't open them 'til we move home in another two or three weeks.

Ordering them was a treat, as I had a conversation with the delightful, extremely helpful Lucy (I live in the U.S. so shipping was a bit tricky). That package will be one of the first I open when we return to our home, which will be my way of welcoming the Chief Inspector and his universe into mine.

lil Gluckstern said...

Yes, you were missed. Yes, you earned your rest, and we're glad you're back. These are strange times in the world, aren't they, and the earthquake was awful. So scary, devastating, and no warning. You write what you do and enjoy it. We do.