Monday 6 September 2010

A maid needs a man...

mainly sunny, cool, temps 15

Doug left this morning at 7 for the quite long drive back to Toronto - had such a fun visit with him. Great dinner last night - very simple - of pasta with pesto - and baguette.

Went to the village for breakfast with Joan...decided to go a little early to mail some books. Got all the way up the post office steps when I remembered...it's labour day. so back down - then decided to add air to my tires...the front driver's side was getting flat. Need to have Denis check it out tomorrow - but in the meantime I figured I should put air in.

I've never done that before.

I stood in front of the air machine...realizing I needed to put 50 cents in. that I could figure out. And I knew tires have a valve. And the nozzle fits into it. And the car door told me the tires should be 33 something or other. so - put the money in. A roar started. So I got the nozzle and tried to fit it over the valve. Only then realizing there was a plastic cap that needed to be unscrewed. I unscrewed it - glancing around to make sure no one was watching. Then put the nozzle in and tried to figure out if the tire was inflating.

And then I called Tony. God bless him - he jumped in his truck and came right over. The good news is, I did manage to inflate the tires. The bad news it I'd made the volkswagen beetle into a Monster Truck - with huge cartoon wheels. Tony deflated them and we started again.

Seems a pressure gauge is a good thing to have. Who knew? Tony, apparently.

Then breakfast with Joan - got to listen to three of her new and brilliant poems. then home. doing bits and pieces. Need to write a new home page for the website, for when we re-launch it for BURY YOUR DEAD. All these things that don't get done when I'm writing. Hope to get everything done, and then spend most of the next two weeks doing...nothing!!!!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I can't believe you have to pay for air in your tyres!!! Love Oz more and more! Pam

Anonymous said...

Same down here in California. 25 or 50 cents or so to get the compressor running for a while. Money grubbing. Still, it tends to last long enough to do up to 4 tires. Louise, for future reference, the nozzle part of the air hose usually has a pressure gauge, in the form of stick with graduations, that emerges from its "tail". Typically they're hard to read and not very accurate, but they're better than nothing.
Alastair

Louise Penny Author said...

Hi Pam and Alastair,

Yes, seemed odd to me too - to pay for air - but there you go. Good to hear we're not alone, Alastair. And I was wondering what that stick thing was.

Hope I don't sound as feeble as I think.