Sunday 16 August 2009

Starred Publisher's Weekly review!

Sunny, hot, beautiful day - temps 30

Anotehr perfect summer day. spent much of the morning in or by the pool! Reading, relaxing. Did some ellipticating...then dove in the water. Fabulous. I feel buoyant, in and out of the water...freed of anxiety. This is the first day in a very long time I haven't had work to do...haven't had social engagements. Nothing.

Peace and quiet. And I'm taking FULL advantage. Basically, doing nothing. Plan to watch the golf soon.

Had fun yesterday afternoon at the SPCA fundraiser. Offered our property for it next year. Not sure they'll take us up on it. They might prefer a place in a different location since we're just down the road from Kirk and Walter. But if not next year, perhaps the next. Whatever works for them!

Met a wonderful woman named Mary who was doing some of the catering for the garden party. She's just moved to these parts. Since Michael and I are having a small dinner party this coming Friday I invited her to cater it. I'm very happy about that - as will our guests be. They needn't eat before they come.

Had a fun experience last night too. Was lying in bed with the latest People Magazine - opened it to the books section first, as I always do...and there was a fabulous mention of the Audio Book for A RULE AGAINST MURDER (aka - THE MURDER STONE). It was in a section they called Thrilling Mysteries for the Road. I was sure thrilled!

But, more was to come. Had an email from my New York editor, Hope Dellon - late Saturday night, to say she'd just found out THE BRUTAL TELLING would be getting a starred review in Publisher's Weekly!! She even sent the review.

Here it is:

STARRED Publisher's Weekly Review -

When the body of an unknown old man turns up in a bistro in Agatha-winner Penny’s excellent fifth mystery set in the Quebec village of Three Pines (after Jan. 2009’s A Rule Against Murder), Chief Insp. Armand Gamache investigates. At a cabin in the woods apparently belonging to the dead man, Gamache and his team are shocked to discover the remote building is full of priceless antiquities, from first edition books to European treasures thought to have disappeared during WWII. When suspicion falls on one of Three Pines’ most prominent citizens, it’s up to Gamache to sift through the lies and uncover the truth. Though Gamache is undeniably the focus, Penny continues to develop her growing cast of supporting characters, including newcomers Marc and Dominique Gilbert, who are converting an old house-the site of two murders—into a spa. Readers keen for another glimpse into the life of Three Pines will be well rewarded.

Yay!

Alright, I'm off - have to hurry up and do more nothing! Hope you're also having a quiet Sunday.

6 comments:

Jeanine said...

Louise, I just can't wait to get my hands on this book! It is all pre-ordered, so I will be notified as soon as it is available. In the meantime, I enjoy your blog so very much. Congratulations on the starred review.

Louise Penny Author said...

Dear Jeanine,

Thank you!!! And thanks for always being so supportive. Tell as many friends, and strangers, as you can!

Brenda Buchanan said...

Congratulations! Great review! I can't wait to read the book. We'll talk it up here, too.

So happy to hear you had such a lovely, nothing-to-do day. Glad you were enjoying it.

Do you play golf, or just watch?

From muggy Maine,

Brenda

Tammy said...

Saw the blurb and thought of you....the big time, People (LOL).

Can't wait until October.

Tammy in MO

Louise Penny Author said...

Dear Muggy Brenda,

Thanks for talking the new book up! It means a lot. I used to play golf - but haven't for a very long time. I was quite erratic. I think I lacked patience. Long, powerful hitter - but spent a lot of time in the woods! But, when I played about 10 years ago I was much better. I had less need to 'kill' the ball. And just relaxed. But love watching it...am amazed by their poise.

Louise Penny Author said...

DEar Tammy,

Thank you! It was quite thrilling!