Thursday 20 December 2007

December is kind to THE CRUELEST MONTH

Clearing, highs minus 4

Great nerws today. We thought Michael might need hip surgery, but he doesn't. Phew. The bad news is he needs to lose weight - about 10 pounds. And worse news - so do I. Ugh. Especially at this time of year.

But the other bit of great news today is that the Kirkus Review in the US just gave THE CRUELLEST MONTH a starred review! Wow. I'm beyond thrilled, and relieved.

Not sure if you're familiar with Kirkus - I wasn't until Still Life came out. Seems in the US there are four main opinion making journals that do reviews of books a few months before they come out. This is mainly for bookstores and libraries, who obviously can't read every book, but need some help deciding which ones to order. So these publications are hugely influential. They're the Kirkus, Booklist, Publishers Weekly and Library Journal. A starred review in any of them is significant. You can imagine how happy I am.

THE CRUELEST MONTH is coming out in the US in March, but you can pre-order it now at your local bookstore or through one of the chains, or Amazon. This is generally a good idea, in case they run out. I know in Canada the bookstores and distributers have run out of the Canadian first edition of THE CRUELLEST MONTH - which is both gratifying (to say the least) but also annoying since I hear Christmas is a big time for books. (Note the different spelling - the American version has one less 'el' - or if you prefer - the British has one more.)

The other reason to pre-order is that the first editions are worth more. Apparently a signed first edition hardcover of STILL LIFE is worth about 600 dollars now. Though, to be fair, subsequent books probably won't be worth quite that much since the runs are larger. But I'll tell you, after hearing what STILL LIFE is worth - and after giving all ours away to friends and family!!!! I'm keeping my subsequent copies! And signing them. Seems silly to sign my own books - but at least I don't dedicate it to myself. Well, maybe one...

I'll be updating the website soon and will put the full Kirkus Review up. Another reason for you to get out of bed in the morning. See what I do for you? Did I mention the review was starred? Pardon - I didn't hear that. Did you say, STARRED???!!!

Must be off, and not eat.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the starred review, Louise! The Cruellest Month deserved it. I truly enjoyed it. Had to order from UK as I couldn't wait for the US release.

Good luck with the calorie counting. I did pretty good between Thanksgiving and now so I feel that I can indulge a bit this next few days. Happy holidays!

Louise Penny Author said...

Hi Kay,

So wonderful to hear from you, and so supportive. I appreciate it. And good to hear about your calorie successes - and your planned excesses!

Merry Christmas.

Louise

Lesa said...

A starred review from Kirkus is worth celebrating! Do you know how persnickety Kirkus can be? Congratulations, Louise!

Louise Penny Author said...

Dear Lesa,

You are kind! Thank you - and thanks for taking the trouble to write. I appreciate it. You know, success more fun if you have people to celebrate with. Thanks for celebrating!

happy new Year, Lesa,

Louise